Friday, November 5, 2010

Food Friday: Potato & Broccoli Soup

Fall creates in me a need to make and eat soup.  It is a warm and cozy food.
The following recipe I created a couple of years ago.   A neighbor inspired a new Halloween supper tradition for us.  Soup bowls.  We have now done it for the past 4 years.  An easy, warm and filling food before the kids try and stuff themselves with treats.

Feel free to add or take away.  I usually do.  I like to ad lib with my recipes.  Sometimes I wish that I would write down how I made something because it turns out really well.  So this one I wrote down just as a reminder.  I need to try and write down more recipes that I throw together just in case they turn out to definitely be repeats.

Potato and Broccoli Soup
About 8 Medium Potatoes, peeled, 1/2" cubes
2 Cans chicken broth
1 Cup finely diced onion - sauteed in butter or olive oil
2 Cans cream of broccoli or celery
3/4 lb. Cured ham, 1/4" cubes
2 Cups broccoli, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
White sauce, if needed to thicken (melted butter, flour, milk or water)

Boil potato cubes in chicken broth, add water if necessary to cover potatoes at least 1/2".  After potatoes are cooked add rest of ingredients. Cook on medium until hot. Serve in bread bowls or in a bowl with bread on the side.  Enjoy!
The soup wasn't "dressed up" for this photo shoot and so doesn't look the most appetizing.  But let me tell you: it's good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...