Friday, May 13, 2011

Food Friday: Home Made Lara Bars

Dates.  To look at them reminds me of cockroaches.  Sorry, but true.
Dates.  In my mind these are were a "grandma" food.  Now I want to cook with them more.  I never had (and don't even remember if I have ever tried one) before.  They have great nutritional value for such a little fruit.  This is what Camilla of Enlightened Cooking writes about dates:

Dates Nutrition Notes:
Dates are included in a majority of the LARA Bars, so I thought I’d mention a few facts about these wonderful fruits.

I love dates because I love brown sugar, and dates taste like brown sugar candy--hence they are a delicious and healthy way to curb my sweet tooth. One date has a mere 23 calories and is loaded with nutrition. Dates are an excellent source of carbohydrates (great for pre- or post-workout), contain no cholesterol, are high in fiber, and boast a wide range of nutrients, including calcium (32 mg per serving), Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, and Manganese.

Dates also contain vitamins A1, B1, B2, B3, B5, C and more than 20 different amino acids; they help in the digestion and assimilation of carbohydrates, and help to regulate blood sugar levels and fatty acids content in our bodies.

A friend shared the link to Enlightened Cooking's Lara Bars.  I am trying to eat healthier, which carries over to my family eating better.  I made the original recipe and then two variations of Camilla's Cookie Dough variations.  I rarely follow a recipe 100%.  I wish that I did more or at least write down what I do so I can repeat it if I like it.  I like the original better than my other 2 variations.  My husband liked the Cookie Dough variations better.  He is the chocoholic in the family.  So of course he would choose those.  And that is why I made the "Cookie Dough" variations, so that he would like them and want to eat them.  :)

Click here for the LARA Bar home made recipe.
Camilla has great photos and directions so no need to repeat it on this page.  :)

I am grateful for my friend sharing the Enlightened Cooking site.  I look forward to trying out other recipes from there as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...