Friday, July 23, 2010

Food Friday: German Pancakes

My children love this dish.  My oldest requests it often.  I was first introduced to it when my oldest bro, Dave, made it after learning it in 7th grade Home Ec. class.  Then my brother Jim re-learned the same dish 2 years later.  It was fun to have my older brothers cooking for me and a bonus that it tasted good.
German Pancakes (also called Dutch Babies) is an easy breakfast (and sometimes dinner) favorite  of mine.

9X12 Portion
Pre-heat oven to 400F
Whisk together (electric or by hand)~

6 Eggs
1 Cup flour
1 Cup milk

Spray bottom of 9x12 baking dish with non-stick spray (Pam)
Melt 4-8 Tablespoons butter in the baking dish
Pour mixture over melted butter
Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown (as seen above).  With my oven I have to go about 20 minutes.

Topping Options:
Lemon Juice & Powdered Sugar (my favorite)
Brown Sugar & Sour Cream
Maple Syrup
Fruit
Bake with apples.  Soften apple slices/discs in butter in skillet.  Add to batter and bake.

Smaller Portion - 2 9-inch Pie Plates
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Flour
3 Tablespoons Butter

Follow large portion directions.
Bake 425F for 12-15 Minutes.

It is fun to see the different shapes that form.  The Pie Plates create tall sides, while the 9x12 varies in form.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...